Monday, November 17, 2014

Unique Snowflake Syndrome when painting armies?

So I'm currently on a week-long holiday (much deserved).

I have so far been rather productive, although this blog entry will have no pictures - as I'm not fully finished with my current work. Pics will be taken when I return back on friday!

So far, over the course of the past... 4 days, I've managed to paint up another line infantry battalion (3rd of my line infantry regiment), and currently I'm half way through a Chasseurs-a-Cheval regiment (these are awesome btw).

My stuff has indeed arrived from Pendraken (awesome service as always), though I have to say I'm greatly disappointed with Magister Militum. I'm going to have to write them an email regarding my order. I've ordered stuff about 3 weeks ago now, and I've sent a package to a friend living in Holland, and that apparently reached him... and not me. So whats up with that?

Anyhow, the stuff from Pendraken that arrived consisted of.... a couple additions of figures to complete my 3rd battalion of light infantry, 2 regiments of chasseurs-a-cheval, and then enough figures to make two large Austrian "hungarian" battalions and a regiment of Austrian hussars. Plan is to polish off my French army with these chasseurs regiments, a last light infantry battalion, and maybe a horse artillery unit and commanders... and that should be it for now. Going to be focusing on Austrians next as a change of pace. Going to be trying out a different technique using white undercoat spray and black ink. Might turn out good, or terrible... one way to find out.


* * *

The Unique Snowflake Syndrome... when it comes to painting, does anyone else get it? By this I mean having super unique and cool units that aren't "regular" "of the line". Special units, special forces, elite super troopers and stuff. For example, I love painting light infantry for napoleonics... but they're meant to be a little more 'rare' than the common line infantry. But by having unique units everywhere, they're no longer unique. I don't quite mind painting line infantry, but it's just so... boring? If that's the word I'm looking for? They feel generic, and common. I suppose its why that should I paint another line infantry regiment (with 3-4 battalions), I'm going to have to mix them up with great coats for a more tattered look. Just like when I paint my current line infantry, I add some brown pants, shako covers and such to make them "different". Painting the hussars are definitely fun, but again, they weren't the most common units. I'm not sure I could bring myself to paint 4 regiments of dragoons... but maybe I could be wrong? Two regiments of Carabiniers and Cuirassiers to form a brigade.. could be possible if I'm careful not to overdose on repetition.

I think this search for unique units can be best seen in my 6mm Imperial Guard Division - just about every battalion is different and colorful. Was a blast to paint, I have to admit. But they do look and feel the part because the rest of the army is "generic"... well, as "generic" as it can be seeing as off the top of my head, it has about 5 battalions of line infantry, and 4 of light infantry.

Eventually I think regarding my line to light infantry ratio, I'm trying to make it about 2 line infantry regiments to a light infantry regiment.

Or am I completely over-thinking this?

1 comment:

  1. Love the work you have been doing on here over the last few weeks! I've been very quiet on the blog front but I have been painting. Some WIP shots of a couple of French guns coming up soon.

    I totally get the 'unique snowflake syndrome' as you put it. Still trying to work myself up to do a full infantry battalion. Soon I promise!

    Thanks for keeping the updates coming. They have kept me motivated in what would otherwise have been total hobby inactivity my end. As it is plenty on its way...

    ReplyDelete