Monday, November 10, 2014

Gaming and Battles all round - Flames of War

I have begun to play Flames of War fairly regularly now. Usually it's once every other week, and occasionally it's once a week on Fridays.

My gaming partner is in the same boat as I - that is to say, more painting, and gaming as a side entertainment. Lately, however, we've started to really begin 'playing' the game. Learning the rules, experimenting different army list compositions, different tactics. It's been fascinating, and it has shown me a way to appreciate the game that is Flames of War better.

I really enjoy the game, especially having battles on Friday evenings after a tiring week at work but I can't say I find the actual rules super engrossing, as I feel that its very... "generic" in a way.

I don't like how the game basically forces you to play and finish the game in under six turns. I understand that it has "2 hour tournament" play in mind, but I suppose I was expecting something a little more realistic. Its crazy how 3 turns to get reinforcements almost feels forever.

Not that I'm saying I don't enjoy it, because I do, but I understand more why I had begun painting more than gaming in the first place when I started to really get obsessed with the miniatures hobby. I used to game WH40K a lot back then (almost 8+ years ago), and I had found that the game was too abstract, and there were a log of rules munchers that would find some obscure loophole to screw you over. That's certainly not the case with the person I play with, but it'll take some time for me to warm up again and to really appreciate the gaming side of the hobby.

Meanwhile though! I have my own 10mm napoleonic rules I'm still trying to work on. It's taking its sweet time as I continue to decide how I want to do it, but there is some progress.

Still, I enjoy being able to bring out various armies due to my huge collection, and test out different tactics and just enjoy the game for what it is.



In the meantime... here are some pictures of my last FoW game:

SS panzergrenadiers defend the objective (truck), and fortifies the house, while being covered by a Tiger

Russian motor rifles advance through the field through machine gun fire

What is this? A T-34 advance? Excellent, come closer!

21cm Nebelwerfer battery and Tigers

\

No comments:

Post a Comment