Sunday, April 13, 2014

The future of my Nappies....

Warning: May include rambling

Been in a bit of a pickle this week.

Was working on my napoleonics... but there's just something that I'm not really happy with.

The problem is that my napoleonics come in 6mm. They are *TINY*, and not to mention so incredibly fragile, especially their bayonets. The other problem is that because they're so small, there's only so much detail you can add. They do look great when put together with other unitrs though.

Looks great en masse - French infantry division
Looks good - Flanqueurs brigade
Hmm...... Guard infantry battalion
Meh....

I love how they look en masse, it really looks amazing. Hell even a base by itself looks amazing.

The huge problem really, is that to get a single base done, it actually takes me an entire day of painting. So.... about 6-7 hours. Its painstakingly tedious and very tiring due to the tiny size of it, and because individually the stands dont really look like anything when you're painting them from close up, it not only feels like you're getting nowhere, but as if your efforts are for nothing, but it doesnt look like anything. Makes me wonder while im painting "why am I doing this, it doesnt look like anything".

Unfortunately, that seems to launch a miniature painter's depression as I quickly lose both willpower and steam to continue. It also doesnt help that I have piles and piles of these miniatures in bags that I bought last year. I had hoped to finish painting at least 2 corps, but I've only succeeded in meeting that objective half way.


And so, I've decided to give 10mm scale napoleonics a go. Moving from 6mm to 10mm would mean that I'd have more details to paint, and would make painting fun. I absolutely love painting 15mm, and so I think the potential for 10mm should be great, and at the same time, it would succeed in having that "en masse" feel that I love about these napoleonics I've painted in 6mm.

I love the end result of the 6mm napoleonics I've painted - but I've grown to hate the path to it.

Any thoughts?



On another note, I've finished up some half-tracks I've been wanting to finish for a long time for Flames of War. These are actually plastics from Pastic Soldier Company.

The scale of the models fits the Battlefront models near perfectly, and the crispness of the plastics makes sure the details are very visible.

This is the gepanzerte armored platoon - consisting of a command sd.kfz 251, two mortar-carriers and two with 7.5cm guns.


No comments:

Post a Comment