Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Introducing Major-General Henry MacKinnon


Major-General Henry MacKinnon commanded the 1st Brigade of the 3rd Division of the British army in the Peninsular. Under his command were the 45th (Nottinghamshire), the 88th (Connaught Rangers), the 74th (Highland) regiments of foot and three companies of the 5/60th Royal American Rifles.

I am basing my army on Picton's 3rd Division at the battle of Fuentes de Onoro in 1811. At the time Colonel Henry MacKinnon, of the Coldstream Guards, was in command of the 1st Brigade so I have painted him up as a Colonel. I am aware that there are some issues with his uniform (the shako in particular) but I am limited to metal models as these are for my old man and he hates plastic! 

MacKinnon gained a promotion to Major-General soon afterwards but was killed leading the 3rd Division during the attack on The Great Breach at Cuidad Rodrigo on the 19th January 1812. His body was recovered by members of his old regiment the Coldstream Guards and buried at the village of Espeja nearby. 

Overall I am happy with the result and he looks great alongside my redcoats. This was my first time painting a 28mm horse (hard to imagine since I have been painting for years)! I used my airbrush to get the main coat on and then blended in a darker tone for the horse's legs. It is hard to see this effect in the photos but they came out really well.






Interestingly before the Napoleonic Wars MacKinnon's father resided in Dauphiny where a young Napoleon was a frequent visitor. Apparently MacKinnon had a cordial acquaintance with his future enemy!






1 comment: