Sunday, January 4, 2015

Work in Progress and bases...

I have just completed the French gunners with the exception of the layer of dust I add on when I paint the bases (it is the peninsular after all). Below  are a few shots of the gunners. My apologies for the rubbish photos, I took them quickly on my phone to give you an idea of how I go about basing them. They are not glossy in real life and the colours look nothing like those in the photos! I'll make sure that the final photos post basing are of better quality!



All the miniatures come on a small base as you can see in the photos above. These are a pain if you wish to stick them on proper bases as they stand a good 2mm high. The green stuff in the images is slapped on to hide the sudden jump in elevation. With the texture paint on top of this the models hardly even look like they are on uneven ground.

GW get around having their miniatures appear stood on top of a tuft of grass with their slotta-bases. My problem with these is that the whole model then appears to be on a plinth. Great for display pieces but unconvincing on the gaming table. I've got around this by basing the first few models of my Scavvy gang on 25mm round bases by Renedra. They make brilliant and simple bases of all sizes and are well worth looking at.

Comparison shot of the Renedra base against the traditional GW one.

As you can see I have gone for the plastic Chaos Cultists to represent my regular Scavvies. They are armed with an assortment of Autoguns and Autopistols with a variety of close combat weapons. 


I've picked up two boxes to form the core of my gang. The models are nice so I plan on painting up the first five with only minor changes before converting the second five more substantially.

More updates to follow shortly...
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment