Sunday, January 11, 2015

WIP French Foot Artillery

 A quick update on my French guns...

The crew have now been based and await varnish and then flocking. I should be able to get them finished this week.
 First Gun Crew

 Second Gun Crew

I'm a bit happier with these photos (the previous ones made them look super shiny). Again I have gone for the campaign look. Although they seem to have taken forever they didn't really take very long to actually paint. Being so busy has meant I've only been able to spare the odd 30mins here and there.

One of the major dilemmas I have had was how to base them. Originally I was going to to for all the crew and gun on a large base but I binned that idea for a couple of reasons.
  1. I wanted to be able to place the figures in an infantry square if the need arises in games.
  2. I will be modelling a full limber team to hitch them up to when being transported and having the crew on the base facing the wrong way would look off.
I decided therefore for the flexibility offered by basing both crew and gun individually. The next issue I had was how to attach the gun so that it could be deployed both ready to fire and then hitched up to the limber. My solution: not to glue the gun in place. In order to hold the gun to the base during play I sculpted some ruts under the wheels. Hopefully these look like the gun has been digging into the ground when it recoils.

 The finished ruts.
 With the guns deployed.
Painted in my dusty peninsula colours and awaiting flocking.


All that is left to do now are the two guns which should be pretty straight-forward and then the flocking. Photos of the finished models coming soon!

1 comment: