Monday, January 12, 2015

French Horse Artillery Battery


I totally stole this idea from the Pendraken forums, more specifically this thread (http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,10452.30.html) where the horse artillery on the base as a little vignette so I did the same!

Okay, these aren't the best of all pictures as I took them fairly rapidly before leaving on my two week course, but they do show off what I wanted to do - a small diorama.

Now compared to my previous artillery bases (smaller 20x30mm per gun), I went 40x40mm in size. Granted, compared to my foot artillery battery they take up more space, but if you include the eventual limbers for foot artillery, they should be roughly equal size. Either way, I think I don't really care that much regarding size as the look is more important. If I'm penalized in-game because the dimensions makes it a larger target, then so be it.

With Flash

No Flash

The little vignette I find gives it the obvious "Horse Artillery!!11111" feel that I'm looking for, and gives it a certain character, as opposed to just the guns with crew that unless you squint and look close enough, appear the exact same as my Foot Artillery battery.

These models are entirely pendraken, except the guns (from Magister Militum, though dimension wise are exactly the same as Pendrakens). No reason why I couldn't use the guns from Pendraken, but I had ordered a pack of MM artillery with limbers, and once again decided that I just dont like the proportions of their cavalry and figures. The gun figures and dimensions were pretty close to Pendraken's, and also had a Howitzer, so I used that along with the Pendraken limbers and Horse Artillery crew I had.

I'll be using the Pendraken artillery for my Divisional Foot Artillery Battery that will be part of my Elite Infantry Brigade - and thus completing the artillery batteries for my 3 brigades.

2 comments: