Sunday, June 21, 2015

Waterloo 2015

In the ultimate expression of my terrible addiction in miniatures and Napoleonics, I have traveled to Waterloo, Belgium to witness the re-enactment and commemorative ceremony of the 1815 Battle of Waterloo.
It was good that I had managed to get tickets about 3-4 months in advance, as not only were tickets sold out roughly 2 months ago, but the site was packed.


(French army officer of 1815 with one of 2015....)

 The site was gorgeous, and so where the costumes. Weather held pretty well throughout the two days, with slight rain towards the end of the day.

The number of reenactors on the field numbered roughly 5,600 last I heard on the loud speakers. The first day represented the French attacks on La Haie Sainte and Hougoumont, and the arrival of the Prussians, and the second day represented the British and Prussian offensive and the withdrawal of French forces from the field.

I also managed to find an interesting deal with a vendor (who happened to be ex-French army) whom I struck up a long conversation with, and managed to get a deal for a whole set of drawings and paintings done by Guy Sajer and Michel Faure, the authors of the graphic novels "Les Fils de l'Aigle". These were serial numbered and very limited, so I managed to grab these, with their "Les Hussards" drawing album depicting all the hussar regiments numbering one through twelve. I also bought a slate painting done by Guy Sajer, but unfortunately Belgian roads are just notoriously bad, and the slate got cracked on the trip home. I was really disappointed about this, so I tried to fix it the best I could, and will have to get a proper frame to hold it in place.

All the pictures are below - though due to the sheer amount of photos taken, there are only a select few below.

I have also several videos that I took, but here is one that has been uploaded during the final phase of the second day of the reenactments: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qtml3pql95a2ttr/20150620_215211.mp4?dl=0

Enjoy!























No comments:

Post a Comment