Friday, July 25, 2014

Winter Is Coming...

I decided right back when I first started my Vostroyans that they would have urban bases and pretty quickly came to the conclusion that instead of spending ages on every soldier's base (there are almost a hundred of them!) I would add snow to help break up all the grey. My hope was that this would help brighten the models up a bit and unify the army as well as saving some time to make the bases of the characters stand out with some extra detail.

Last night I put together a typical base on which to test out my homemade snow effect. I went down the Bicarbonate of Soda and PVA mixed together with a little water. It took a little while to get the mix to the desired consistency but I am pleased with the results.


From bare base to winter wonderland!

I then repeated the process adding small patches of snow to the bases of my Vostroyans. I also added an extra highlight to their red uniforms, as I discussed in my previous blog, in an effort to brighten them up a notch. 

 Before... and after...
The finished trooper ready for the battlefield.

Here is a group shot to demonstrate how they look en masse.

A priest leads an infantry squad to war.

The view from above.

In other news I have finally got around to using my airbrush. I have a bit more work to do on the undercoats of my tanks and a squad of conscripts but I'll save that as it is worthy of a post of its own!

"What I cannot crush with words I will crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!"
Lord Commander Solar Macharius













No comments:

Post a Comment