Thursday, May 22, 2014

Celer et Audax (Swift and Bold)

The 5th Battalion/60th Royal American Regiment of Foot

It has been a busy couple of weeks and getting painting time in has been a challenge. I got home on Monday night thinking I would get some brush time in only to find water flowing from numerous locations in my ceiling! My place has just about dried out now but the delay meant that my riflemen took a little longer than expected.

Anyway, here they are all finished and based.

 Research suggested that the 5/60th wore blue trousers with their green jackets. These would have eventually been replaced with whatever trousers they could find when on campaign (often from the same material as the monks used for their habits apparently) and so the majority of my rifles wear a hotchpotch of trousers. Other than this the 5/60th wore a very similar uniform to the 95th with the exception of scarlet cuffs and collars.




Officers were in charge of supplying their own uniforms. this one has opted for green trousers to match his jacket.

The majority of the 5/60th were German and the battalion was in fact three years older than its more famous cousin the 95th. Unlike the 95th, the 5/60th were split up and spread out between the Wellington's divisions thus ensuring that each division could call upon the skills of the deadly sharp shooters.

Three companies of the 5/60th were attached to the British Third Division including their HQ Company under the command of Major William Gabriel Davy. 

Two stands of 5/60th alongside a stand of the 88th Regiment of Foot.

I painted all of these riflemen at the same time and I think that a batch of 12 is about right. Anymore than this and I can imagine that it would become a little tedious. As it was I enjoyed painting these and am happy with the results. I have bought a few 40mm models that I will be looking at doing to a display standard at some point.  Next up for this army however is a foot artillery piece.

Progress is a little slow at the moment as I am moving countries in four weeks time. I do have a long summer holiday coming up soon (the joys of being a teacher) so I am sure that progress will pick up in pace soon!

 "La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!"  ("The Guard dies, it does not surrender!").
Attributed to General Count Etienne Cambronne





1 comment:

  1. I love the hodgepodge colors. A lot. I use it often for my techniques (you'll see it in my upcoming post with my line infantry), and it really makes the unit come 'alive'.

    As you know, I'm not a huge fan of straight-out-of-the-assembly factory-pristine look, so they definitely bring line to your models.

    ReplyDelete